Below are some thoughts from Dr. John Davis of Grace Church in Philadelphia, on the “Already, Not Yet” Kingdom of Jesus. Pastor Davis is the overseer of Sonship Ministries, the church I am privileged to call home. You can read his blog here.
1. Already a Kingdom in which the King offers redemption through his death and resurrection; not yet a kingdom in which redemption is applied to all of creation.
2. Already a Kingdom which one sees and enters through repentance and faith (John 3:3-5); not yet a kingdom which one sees with the physical eye.
3. Already a spiritual kingdom in which the King rules over the hearts and lives of his subjects, not yet, a geo-political kingdom in which all the universe is in subjection to His righteous rule.
4. Already a kingdom in which the subjects of the King are learning to love one another and live in unity; not yet a kingdom in which the subjects of the King perfectly love another and live in unity.
5. Already a kingdom in which its subjects hold title to an eternal inheritance; not yet a kingdom in which the subjects are in full enjoyment of the inheritance.
6. Already a kingdom in which its subjects are granted the New Heavens and Earth; not yet a kingdom in which they possess the New Heavens and Earth.
7. Already a kingdom which is in conflict with the powers of darkness; not yet a kingdom which is fully triumphant over the powers of darkness.
8. Already a kingdom in which the power of the King over death, disease, and the devil is evident; not yet a kingdom in which death, disease, and the devil are banished forever.
9. Already a kingdom growing mysteriously and gradually (Matt 13); not yet a kingdom manifested in power and glory.